CAGD495

 From a 3D Artist’s perspective, the process of making a game hasn’t gone to well in terms of actually getting the work done. I have never actually had this problem in my past experiences and for this one, its due to my lack of experience in terrain modeling which really held me back this sprint. I was stuck on it for a few days, but this surprised me because I have used the sculpting tool in maya for previous projects and the outcome didn't come out bad at all so I thought I could tackle this task but I was wrong. One thing I did to fix this was communicate with my team Lead Tyla and Producer Anna and we all agreed to pass it onto someone who has more knowledge of sculpting to get the look of the terrain we wanted. That was really the thing that held me back and I should have spoke up sooner about it but everything is situated and I have finished up the other models that I was assigned. 

Next, I will dive into all the cards and tasks that I was assigned for the first sprint. The first was a model of a spruce tree which I have to admit was kind of a struggle to find a good reference to base it off of but also actually making it look cartoonish and within the poly count was hard for me because I feel I’m better at making stuff look realistic. This is something I just figured out, so it’ll be nice to model props and other stuff in a less realistic way to make them look fun and colorful.














The next card that I finished up was modeling a bush. Just like I mentioned before this was a process even though the model looks very simple, trying the get the right shape or look to fit the game aesthetic was tough for me since it had to look cartoony. One thing I took from doing this model particularly is finding a texture which my partner Mori was able to find so I appreciate Mori a lot for that. The other thing I learned from that is all the tutorials I can look at to actually find how to make these textures instead of the default ones in painter, so I will be looking at those to maybe create some unique textures for props going into future sprints.










The next card I had was modeling a fence in a way that it can be duplicated as modular pieces. Again, the look that my team lead wanted was cartoony, so I was able to make the model look pretty simple but have that soft look with the stylized textures on it.









One of the last cards I worked on was a model of a bench to serve as a decoration. This particular model won’t serve as anything that the player will interact with in game, but I still wanted to make it look good but not too good where it looks realistic. When finding textures for this one, I had to make sure the stylized textures didn’t have too much detail in the wood because I have to admit, the first time I sent it to verify, it got sent back because the textures looked to real. Next time on future models, I will be sure to choose the textures more carefully to fit the theme. 














Lastly, I learned a couple of things from this sprint. The first is communication which is one of the most important ones that I should be using more often. The second one that I learned is that I can’t do any nature modeling because it didn't turn out so well so I will be focusing on non-nature props for future sprints.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GameProgressFinalPost